List of ejournals in the history of the health sciences
This listing of e-journals in the history of the health sciences was prepared, and is maintained, by David S. Crawford.
Titles are listed here only if they are currently published, have a significant percentage of scholarly content on the history of the health sciences and, if a print copy exists, all parts of an issue are usually made available online fairly soon after its publication in print.
More general journals, which publish regular or occasional articles on the history of the health sciences, or journals which do not make full issues available, are not listed. Newsletters are listed only if they have a significant amount of scholarly content and if they contain more than simply information from their sponsors or meeting notices and abstracts. Titles that require a subscription / license are identified in this listing by "$" in front of the title. The listing does NOT generally include "Series", though the demarcation between a "journal" and a "series" is quite blurred!
The number of current e-journals in the history of the health sciences is growing rapidly. Some are available free, though many are only available to users who have personal subscriptions or who access them through an institutional site license. So that full bibliographic details can be easily consulted, most titles link into the OCLC WorldCat catalogue.
You can use the icon to go directly to the publisher page for the title. A few titles are published very erratically; they remain listed until it is clear whether they have ceased.
Titles which are CURRENTLY indexed for the US National Library of Medicine's PubMed (Medline) are identified by
You can look at the full bibliographic information from the link to OCLC's WorldCat that follows each entry. WorldCat has quite a few duplicate records and in these cases I have tried to select the e-journal record with the best information. If you require a list of OCLC member libraries holding a title you may need to look at more than one WorldCat record.
Acta Medico-Historica Adriatic - AHMA The official publication of the Croatian Society for the History of Health Culture.
Actes de la Société française d'histoire de l'art dentaire. "The Actes of the SFHAD provide full-text access to the proceedings of the SFHAD's annual conferences dating back to 1996. Articles cover a broad range of topics relating to the history of dentistry and dental surgery, with particular reference to France. The Actes are only available in French..."
Adler Museum bulletin. Published twice a year by the Adler Museum at the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa. "The Adler Museum Bulletin publishes papers in the field of historical research in medicine and allied health sciences."
AAHM newsletter. The official publication of the American Association for the History of Medicine.
- $ Aleph: historical studies in science and Judaism. Now published by the Indiana University Press, Aleph explores the interface between Judaism and science and studies the interactions between science and Judaism throughout history.
- $ Ambix. The Journal of the Society for the History of Alchemy and Chemistry.
- $ Annales de démographie historique. Published by Société de Démographie Historique in Paris.
- $ Annals of science. Annals of Science was launched in 1936 as an independent review dealing with the development of science since the Renaissance. Now established as the leading scholarly journal in the field, its scope has widened to cover developments since classical antiquity, and to include articles in French and German.
- $ Arabic sciences and philosophy. This title is devoted to the history of the Arabic sciences, mathematics, and philosophy in the world of Islam between the eighth and the eighteenth centuries in a cross-cultural context.
- Asclepio. With the current subtitle Revista de Historia de la Medicina y de la Ciencia, this journal was founded in 1948. It is published in Spain and is particularly devoted to Spanish, European, and Latin American science. Subscribers have e-access at once, non-subscribers must wait for 6 months.
- $ Asian Medicine: tradition and modernity. The journal makes available in one single publication academic essays that explore the historical, anthropological, sociological and philological dimensions of Asian medicine as well as practice reports from clinicians based in Asia and in Western countries.
- $ Berichte zur Wissenschaftsgeschichte. Journal of the Gesellschaft für Wissenschaftsgeschichte.
- Boletín mexicano de historia y filosofía de la medicina. Published by the Sociedad Mexicana de Historia y Filosofía de la Medicina.
- $ British journal for the history of science. This international journal, published for the British Society for the History of Science, publishes scholarly papers and review articles on all aspects of the history of science.
- Bulletin - Association canadienne pour l'histoire du nursing.
SEE: Newsletter - Canadian Association for the History of Nursing.
- Bulletin / American Association for the History of Nursing. The newsletter of the American Association for the History of Nursing.
- Bulletin de la Societé française d'histoire de la médecine et des sciences vétérinaires. "The Bulletin is the principal link between members of the SFHMSV ..."
- Bulletin of Anesthesia History. Published as a joint effort of the Anesthesia History Association and the Wood-Library Museum of Anesthesiology.
- $ Bulletin of the history of medicine. Official publication of the American Association for the History of Medicine and the Johns Hopkins Institute of the History of Medicine. The journal spans the social and scientific aspects of the history of medicine worldwide.
- Bulletin of the UK Association for the History of Nursing. Starting publication in March 2012 "this Bulletin aims to provide a regular platform for scholarship in nursing history from around the world."
- Canadian Bulletin of Medical History / Bulletin canadien d'histoire de la médecine.
The official publication of the Canadian Society for the History of Medicine / Société canadienne d'histoire de la médecine, the Bulletin is published twice a year. Articles appear in English or French.
- $ Centaurus. Founded in 1950, as of 2007 Centaurus is the official journal of the European Society for the History of Science. It has remained one of the major journals devoted to the study of the history of science and publishes an international spectrum of original papers and book reviews.
- Cheiron Newsletter. Cheiron, the International Society for the history of the behavioral and social sciences, publishes a newsletter.
- $ Chinese Journal of Medical History / Zhonghua yi shi za zhi - 中华医史杂志 Jointly published, in Chinese, by the Chinese Medical Association and the China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- $ Chiropractic History. Official journal of the Association for the History of Chiropractic.
- The Chronicle. This is a newsletter published by the Barbara Bates Center for the Study of the History of Nursing at the University of Pennsylvania.
- $ Clio medica. Published by Rodophi, Clio Medica provides a regular and active forum for the publication of research into the history of medicine and health care in all their branches in various cultures and all time periods. (McGill's catalogue also lists the individual volumes available electronically from Vol. 50+.)
- $ Cultura de los cuidados : revista de enfermería y humanidades. A Spanish history of nursing publication with some free and some paid content.
- Dental History Magazine. Based at the University of Glasgow, the HDRG produces this magazine on all aspects of dental history. Formerly published as the Newsletter - History of Dentistry Research Group.
- Disability History Association Newsletter. The Disability History Association (DHA) is an international non-profit organization that promotes the study of disabilities. Their Newsletter, which started in 2005, contains short articles, book reviews and news items.
- Dynamis. Dynamis is an international journal devoted to the history of medicine, health and science, founded in 1981, that pays special attention to novel and interdisciplinary historiographic perspectives. A full e-archive is available but the most recent issue is available only to subscribers for 6 months.
- Eä - Revista de Humanidades Médicas & Estudios Sociales de la Ciencia y la Tecnología. "A journal of medical humanities & social studies of science and technology" this is a new (2009+) journal from Argentina supported by the Argentinean Association for the History of Medicine (SAHIME).
- $ Early science and medicine. "A journal for the study of science, technology and medicine in the pre-modern period."
- Flesh and Bones. Journal of the National Museum of Health and Medicine in Washington, D.C.
- $ Galenos: Rivista di filologia dei testi medici antichi.Chiefly in Italian, but also includes articles in English, French, German, and Spanish.
- Gimbernat: revista catalana d'història de la medicina i de la ciència. Published by Universitat de Barcelona, in Catelan.
- Giornale storico del Centro studi di psicologia e letteratura. A journal on the history of psychology and psychoanalysis published by del Centro studi di psicologia e letteratura in Rome.
- Grog. Newsletter of the Society for the History of Navy Medicine. Formerly published as the Grog Ration, The Grog is described as "A journal of Navy medical history and culture."
- $ Health and History. "Health and History is a refereed journal concerned with all aspects of the history of medicine and with a primary focus on Australia, New Zealand, and the Pacific region. The journal of the Australian and New Zealand Society of the History of Medicine (ANZSHM)." Older content is freely available at the publisher's link below while current issues (plus all back-issues) are available to subscribers of JSTOR.
- História, ciências, saúde-Manguinhos. Publication of the Casa de Oswaldo Cruz / Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, whose mission is to publish original articles and other material related to the history of the sciences and health.
- Historia Medicinae. A student-run journal of medical history from George Washington University.
- $ History & philosophy of psychology. Published by the History and Philosophy of Psychology Section of the British Psychological Society.
- $ History and philosophy of the life sciences. This interdisciplinary journal, published in several languages, is "committed to providing an integrative approach to understanding the life sciences. In specific terms, it welcomes submissions from biologists, historians, philosophers, and scholars in the social study of science that offer broad and interdisciplinary perspectives on the development of biology, especially as these perspectives illuminate both biology’s scientific development and its larger role in society." (Formerly published by Taylor and Francis, this title has recently returned to being published by the Stazione Zoologica di Napoli, its sponsor, and the e-version is, at present, only available through user name and password access.)
- History of Anaesthesia Society: Proceedings. The History of Anaesthesia Society, founded in the UK in 1986, holds an annual conference. The proceedings of these meetings are made available here.
- $ History of psychiatry. This title "publishes research articles, analysis and information across the entire field of history of mental illness and the forms of medicine, psychiatry, cultural response and social policy which have evolved to understand and treat it. It covers all periods of history up to the present day, and all nations and cultures."
- $ History of psychology. The official journal of the History of Psychology Section of the American Psychological Association.
- $ History of Science. "A review of literature and research in the history of science, medicine and technology in its intellectual and social context."
- $ History of the human sciences. "provides an important forum for contemporary social science research that examines its own historical origins and interdisciplinary influences in an effort to review current practice."
- Hygiea internationalis. An international online journal on the history of public health.
- $ International Studies in the Philosophy of Science. "... a scholarly journal dedicated to publishing original research in philosophy of science and in philosophically informed history and sociology of science."
- Invisible Light : Journal of the British Society for the History of Radiology. Access to the most recent issue is restricted to members and subscribers.
- $ Isis. Since its inception in 1912 Isis has featured scholarly articles, research notes and commentary on the history of science, medicine, and technology, and their cultural influences.
- $ Journal of Medical Biography. "This international quarterly publication focuses on the lives of people in or associated with medicine, including those considered legendary and also the less well known. The journal includes much original research, both about medical figures and well known characters from history and their afflictions, thus providing an interesting, fresh and new perspective which can lead to greater understanding of each subject." Online access now starts with 2005 issues though there are plans to digitise all back volumes.
- Journal of Medical Ethics and Medical History. From its inception in 2004 until 2007 this title, published in Tehran, was published as "preliminary issues" or supplements to other Iranian journals. Starting in 2008 it is published as a stand-alone title.
- $ Journal of the history of biology. This journal is devoted to the history of the biological sciences, with additional interest and concern in philosophical and social issues confronting biology.
- $ Journal of the history of medicine and allied sciences. Started in 1946, the Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences is internationally recognized as one of the top publications in its field.
- $ Journal of the history of sexuality. JHS spans geographic and temporal boundaries, providing a much-needed forum for historical, critical, and theoretical research in its field. Its cross-cultural and cross-disciplinary character brings together original articles and critical reviews from historians, social scientists, and humanities scholars worldwide.
- $ Journal of the history of the behavioral sciences. This is a quarterly, peer-reviewed, international journal devoted to the scientific, technical, institutional, and cultural history of the social and behavioral sciences.
- $ Journal of the history of the neurosciences. Official Journal of the International Society for the History of the Neurosciences.
- Journal of the International Society for the History of Islamic Medicine (JISHIM). Official journal of the International Society for the History of Islamic Medicine.
- Korean journal of medical history.
SEE: Ui Sahak - 醫 史 學
- (Die) Klapper. Official publication of the Gesellschaft für Leprakunde. Articles on leprosy in history.
- $ Literature and medicine. This journal showcases the creative and critical work of renowned physician-writers, leading literary scholars, and medical humanists.
- Medical Historian. The Bulletin of the Liverpool Medical History Society, this journal was founded in 1988, is published by the historical group associated with the Liverpool Medical Institution, one of the oldest medical societies in Britain.
- Medical history. This journal is devoted to all aspects of the history of medicine, although its primary concern is with the evolution of scientific and social concepts in medicine, as well as with the many disciplines such as economics, ethnology, literature, philosophy, politics, theology, science and technology that impact upon it. It is freely available through PubMed Central back to volume 1, 1950. It has a monograph (annual) supplement that is also available on PubMedCentral.
- $ Medicine Studies. Medicine Studies strongly encourages the publication of theme issues focusing on one topic to be approached from a strong interdisciplinary perspective, covering its historical development as well as the theoretical, philosophical, cultural and ethical dimensions.
- Memorandum: memória e história em psicologia / memory and history in psychology. A Brazilian title published in English and Portuguese on the history of psychology.
- Mendel Newsletter. This annual publication of the Library of the American Philosophical Society promotes awareness of archival resources for the history of genetics and allied sciences.
- $ NTM: Zeitschrift für Geschichte der Wissenschaften, Technik und Medizin. A history of science and medicine journal, primarily in German, has the subtitle Journal of the History of Science, Technology and Medicine.
- Newsletter - Canadian Association for the History of Nursing / Bulletin - Association canadienne pour l'histoire du nursing. The CAHN / ACHN publishes a newsletter on all aspects of nursing history, with emphasis on Canada.
- Newsletter - History of Science Society. "The History of Science Society is the world's largest society dedicated to understanding science, technology, medicine, and their interactions with society in historical context."
- Newsletter (International Society for the History of Pharmacy). Published by the International Society for the History of Pharmacy.
- Newsletter - Margaret M. Allemang Centre for the History of Nursing. The Margaret M. Allemang Centre is an organization open to anyone interested in the history of nursing in Ontario, Canada.
- Now and Then - Still National Osteopathic Museum Newsletter. This Newsletter, published twice a year, by the A.T. Still University reports on developments in the history of osteopathic medicine.
- $ Nursing history review. Published annually, Nursing History Review is the official journal of the American Association for the History of Nursing.
- $ Osiris. Published by University of Chicago Press for the History of Science Society. "This annual thematic publication addresses emergent research in the history of science and its cultural influences."
- Oslerian. Newsletter of the American Osler Society.
- Osler Library newsletter. The Newsletter of McGill University's Osler Library of the History of Medicine. Contains articles on Sir William Osler in particular and medical history in general.
- $ Psychoanalysis and History. Psychoanalysis & History is devoted both to the study of the history of psychoanalysis and the application of psychoanalytic ideas to historiography, thus forming a bridge between the academic study of history and psychoanalysis.
- $ Revue d’histoire des sciences. Published in Paris by Issued by the Section d’histoire des sciences of the Centre international de synthese, and published with the assistance of the Centre national de la recherche scientifique.
- $ Science in context. Science in Context is an international journal edited at The Cohn Institute for the History and Philosophy of Science and Ideas, Tel Aviv University. It is devoted to the study of the sciences from the points of view of comparative epistemology and historical sociology of scientific knowledge.
- $ Scientia Canadensis. Published by the Canadian Science and Technology Historical Association and described as "Official journal of the history of Canadian science, technology and medicine." this journal publishes material on the history of medicinel, science and technology.
- $ Social History of Alcohol and Drugs. What began in 1979-80 as the Alcohol and Temperance History Group Newsletter, and later became the more ambitious Social History of Alcohol Review, is now the Social History of Alcohol and Drugs: An Interdisciplinary Journal (SHAD). The most recent change reflects the increasing interest in drug history, the overlap between alcohol and drug history, and the general expansion in the scope of the Alcohol and Drugs History Society. Current issues restricted to subscribers, older issues freely available.
- $ Social history of medicine. The journal of the Society for the Social History of Medicine. Social History of Medicine is concerned with all aspects of health, illness, and medical treatment in the past.
- Society for the Social History of Medicine - Gazette. The Gazette of the Society for the Social History of Medicine was launched in 1990 to keep members informed about professional events within as well as outside the SSHM. Issues contain meeting reports, notices of upcoming events and recent publications.
- $ Studies in history and philosophy of biological and biomedical sciences. This is Section C of Studies in History and Philosophy of Science and is devoted to historical, sociological, philosophical and ethical aspects of the medical and biomedical sciences. The period covered is from the middle of the nineteenth century to the present.
- Ui Sahak 大韓醫史學會誌 醫史學. Taehan Ŭisa Hakhoe chi ŭisahak. The journal of the Korean Society for the History of Medicine, most articles are in English.
- Wellcome history. Published by the Wellcome Trust, Wellcome History is designed as an easy and regular channel of communication between all Wellcome historians. It aims to be an informal, user-friendly centre of debate.
Wellcome news. Also published by the Wellcome Trust, but aimed more at a public audience, this title covers many areas of science policy with some material on history of medicine.
- Windows in Time. Windows In Time is produced twice yearly by the University of Virginia School of Nursing; it includes news of recent nursing history programs and conferences, announcements of upcoming events, updates on Center activities, and articles on nursing history by contributing scholars.
中华医史杂志 = Chinese journal of medical history.
Zhonghua yi shi za zhi
SEE: Chinese Journal of Medical History.
Updated: 24 December 2012.
This list is certainly not exhaustive - additional e-titles appear frequently, and sometimes disappear without warning. There are other online publications in the history of the health sciences (particularly Newsletters), many are available free though some are available online only in part. If a title is not listed here you are strongly advised to search the internet using a search-engine such as Google™ before assuming that it, or part of it, is not available online.
If you know of an unlisted and significant title that meets the above inclusion criteria or if you have any comments or suggestions please direct them to:email@example.com
David S. Crawford
As an experiment I have created a "List" in OCLC's WorldCat. This List contains all the titles in this web listing with essentially the same annotations. It can be accessed at: http://worldcat.org/profiles/Davidsc/lists/1162
Records in this WorldCat List provide access to the OCLC cataloguing record linked to above and, of course, to library location information. This WorldCat List is not updated as frequently as this web page.
There are still duplicate records in WorldCat but I have tried to select the fullest e-journal record, not necessarily the record with the largest number of holding libraries. If you are searching for a library location you should see if there are duplicate WorldCat records and look at them all.
If you have comments on the utility of the WorldCat version of this bibliography please get in touch.
RETURN TO DAVID CRAWFORD'S HOME PAGE